Muscle cells and Nerve cells are the only two types of cells that respond … Read more
Cefaly Drug-free Migraine Pain
Millions of Cefaly treatments to date have proven that it is an effective, drug free, migraine pain reliever. Join the tens of thousands of people around the world who have tried Cefaly and are free of migraine pain and pain relieving medication.
Cefaly Migraine Technology
CEFALY IS A PARTNER OF HEADACHE AUSTRALIA
Do you suffer from Migraines? You are not alone!
We can help you even more when you join the Headache Australia register.
Innovative Drug-free Migraine Relief
Cefaly® is a drug free treatment for the prevention of Migraine and Headache.
It is the first pain-relieving electrotherapy device, which harnesses electric impulses to target the roots of migraines as well as other headaches. It provides drug-free migraine relief with the help of an advanced electrotherapy method.
As Cefaly is a TENS Machine you may be able to make a claim through your Private Health Fund
(click here for more information)
|Now available in Australia, Cefaly is a drug-free method for treating migraine pain and preventing migraine headaches from ever occurring. Cefaly treats migraine pain with neurostimulation – a stimulus that limits pain signals from the nerve centre by working on the trigeminal nerve where migraine headaches start. The patented Cefaly treatment changes the trigger threshold of migraine headaches. As the pain threshold becomes harder to reach, migraine headaches are less frequent, less painful, and simply disappear. Cefaly offers patients suffering from migraine pain and headaches an efficient electrotherapeutical treatment delivered via an extremely comfortable, ergonomic and simple-to-use medical device.|
What is Cefaly?
Cefaly is an external Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation (e-TNS) device. It is CE and ISO certified and designed to treat and prevent migraine headaches. It has been approved around the world including in the US by the FDA and in Australia by the TGA.
Cefaly can considerably reduce or replace the consumption of side effect producing medications.
Cefaly is the first cranial analgesic electrotherapeutic device to acquire ISO medical certification that has proven effectiveness on migraine pain.
Most headaches and migraines involve the trigeminal nerve. Its superior branch ends at the exit of the eye socket, underneath the skin of the forehead. This is where the two essential branches of the trigeminal nerve (supratrochlear and supraorbital) extend furthest to the surface of the skin. An adhesive electrode is positioned on the forehead and Cefaly connects to this and is worn like a pair of sunglasses. Through the electrode, Cefaly generates precise micro-impulses in order to stimulate the nerve endings of the trigeminal nerve. Neurostimulation of the trigeminal nerve with Cefaly produces a relaxing effect. Regular repetition of this relaxing effect helps reduce the number of attacks of headache and migraine. Cefaly is the first e-TNS device available on the market. Cefaly is an innovative, lightweight and extremely cost effective pain relieving solution.
How specifically does it work?
Muscle cells and nerve cells are the only two types of cells that respond well to electrical stimulus: Cefaly was designed to work specifically on nerve cells affected by pain.
Cefaly works by introducing safe, and painless electric impulses to act on the very nerves that transmit migraine pain, a bifurcation of nerves known as the trigeminal nerve. Often referred to as “the great sensory nerve of the head and neck”, the trigeminal nerve is an Endorphin-producing mechanism that carries information about touch, temperature, perception and pain from the face and scalp to the brainstem.
The patented Cefaly design covers this bifurcation and therefore acts on the main part of the trigeminal nerve. Through an electrode covering the middle of the forehead, Cefaly sustains a constant link between migraine pain specific nerves and the electric impulses it generates. Cefaly transmits extremely specific and perfectly adapted electrical impulses to safely stimulate the trigeminal nerve.
Cefaly generates very precise electrical impulses to stimulate the nerve fibres selectively. As the impulses are produced very slowly, they are virtually imperceptible. Cefaly’s advanced technology enables an electronic feedback mechanism to adjust the electrical impulses to the specific requirements of the individual user for personalized efficacy and comfort.
Cefaly specifically stimulates the endorphin-producing, and the touch sensitive nerve fibers of the trigeminal nerve. Cefaly purposely increases the production of endorphins and the influx of touch sensitivity – a mechanism called the Gateway Control System – both are increased to the point that they do not leave any space for the influx of pain stimulus. With a higher level of endorphins, the trigger threshold of headaches or migraine pain is altered by partially blocking the entry of migraine pain into the nervous system.
Published randomized, double blinded controlled clinical trials have demonstrated efficacy and safety of the Cefaly device for the treatment of migraine with or without aura.
Cefaly reduces migraine frequency1
Cefaly reduces the consumption of analgesics/anti-migraine drugs1
The excessive use of analgesics is a vicious cycle. The more headaches you get, the more you use drugs, the more they lose their effectiveness and the more you have headaches. Cefaly breaks this vicious cycle.
Prospective study on 2,313 patients2
- • 87% of users describe a definitive improvement
- • 65% reduction in head pain sensitivity
- • Cefaly has reported side effects of only 4.3% in patients (mild and completely reversible)
- • Cefaly has a very low incidence of nausea, constipation, vomiting
The most common side effects:
- • Intolerance to the feeling of Cefaly on the forehead: 1.25%
- • Sensation of fatigue during and after the session: 0.65%
- • Headache after one session: 0.52%
- • Irritation of the skin on the forehead: 0.22%
Precautions & Recommendations
- • Do not use Cefaly while driving
- • Redness of the skin in the area around the electrode may persist for a few minutes after the session has ended
- • If you have had recent brain or facial trauma
- • If you have a skin abrasion on the forehead in the area of application of the electrode
- • If you have Meniere’s disease
Your Cefaly Product
The Cefaly set includes:
- • Protective case
- • Cefaly device
- • Cefaly electrode
- • Skin-cleansing wipes
- • Detailed instruction manual
It has been designed and developed in accordance with the strictest quality standards, complying with directive 93/42/EEC pertaining to medical devices and with all associated international IEC standards.
All the substances and materials used are bio-compatible and have been subjected to skin testing.
- • Pain Prevention: A prevention program designed to increases the production of endorphins and raises the trigger threshold of the pain.
- • No Side effects: Stop depending on pain killers and side effect producing medication. Cefaly can replace or reduce the consumption of painkilling medication, with no side-effects.
- • Effective pain relief: An attack program blocks pain and provides relief during attacks.
- • Reduce Stress: An anti-stress program produces general relaxation and a strong sense of well-being.
Who can use Cefaly?
Migraine Headaches affect people of all ages. Cefaly is designed to only to act on physiological mechanisms therefore it is not age dependent, although as added precaution we recommend it only to children over 8 years old.
Cefaly is ideal for pregnant or nursing mothers who have no choice but to stay away from pain killing medications.
If used as directed children over 8 years old may use Cefaly if supervised by an adult.
Cefaly Key Benefits
- • Improves 87% of users2
- • Reduces frequency of migraines/headaches
- • Reduces intensity of migraines/headaches
- • Reduces medication intake by 75%
- • Well tolerated
(1) Neurology 2013 80(8), 697-704: Schoenen J, Vandersmissen B, Jeangette S, Herroelen L, Vandenheede M, Gérard P, Magis D Migraine prevention with a supraorbital transcutaneous stimulator: a randomised controlled trial
(2) Journal of Headache and Pain 2013 Magis, D., Sava, S., D’Elia, T. S., Baschi, R., & Schoenen, J. (2013). Safety and patients’ satisfaction of transcutaneous supraorbital neurostimulation (tSNS) with the Cefaly® device in headache treatment: a survey of 2,313 headache sufferers in the general population. The journal of headache and pain, 14 (1):95.